Homage To Klee (watercolor on paper)


Okay . . . hierarchies are all about different levels and this painting is all about different levels so that's me for this week's IF.
This painting is also a sort of homage to someone high in my ‘hierarchy’ of modern painters.
I’ll give you a couple of hints; although born in Switzerland he was German by nationality throughout his life. He finally attained Swiss nationality six days after hs died. He had his first solo exhibition in 1910 and remained active until his death in 1940. An interesting factoid; he spent WWI painting camouflage on German biplanes. One can only fantasize what they must have looked like.

9 have said their bit, now it's your turn:

ArtSparker said...

Well, I see some M.C. Escher steps in there, but that may not be who you're talking about. will check back to learn the answer.

deeol said...

Mesmerising, I think. On many levels.

Unknown said...

I thought of Escher, too.

Unknown said...

I have to admit to a fascination with Escher in my youth and I did swipe one of his drawings for the work-in-progress cover of a novel I’m in the progress of working on, but . . . it’s not Escher I was thinking about here.

Brine Blank said...

That is pretty awesome on a variety of levels...

Kate Lord Brown said...

Know you like Escher Son, but the colours are Klee. Also reminds me of some of the Bauhaus textiles - lovely.

Unknown said...

Well, you can’t fool an art dealer, now can you? Although I of course would never claim my dilettante doodling to be comparable in any manner to this master, I have indeed allowed myself, with due humility, to pay homage to Herr Klee, one of my lifelong favorites.

Take a gander of Doppelzelt from the Rosengart Collection in Lucerne:
http://www.iatwm.com/200508/SammlungRosengart/

The owner of the museum claims she once had fifty original works of Klee hanging on her bedroom walls! The mind boggles.

Caroline said...

Wonderful! And thanks for the link to the Rosengart Collection - fascinating!

String said...

Beautiful!