Succubus (watercolor on paper)

The heart of a succubus is forever vacant . . .

9 have said their bit, now it's your turn:

Zórdís said...

This is a very nice detailed paint! Unfortunately I don't know what a succubus is ... I imagine an empty flower ....

Connie said...

The things of nightmares! Great image though.

Tammie Lee said...

vacant heart indeed
the colors and textures are wonderful against one another
wild piece~ I know my father would have loved this, he was an art collector.

ArtSparker said...

A very beautiful composition, I think the narrowness works very well with the theme. Do you know the M.R. James story "Lost Hearts"?

INDIGENE said...

Striking piece and great color palette!

http://www.indigeneartforms.blogspot.com

Jutta said...

Chef's girlfriend in South Park was a succubus. This one is even scarier... Great work.

Unknown said...

Many thanks for all your comments. As for what a succubus is, I lazily borrow from Wikipedia: ‘A succubus (plural succubi) is a demon who takes the form of a beautiful woman to seduce men, especially monks, in dreams to have sexual intercourse, according to the medieval European legend. Their male counterpart is the incubus. They draw energy from the men to sustain themselves, often until the point of exhaustion or death of the victim.’
I deliberately painted this succubus without breasts. For although breasts are undeniably are an integral part of female sexuality, they primarily represent the nurturing, giving side of women; a succubus is everything but nurturing.

For mine nye Islandske og Finske besøkende, Zórdís og Jutta, sier jeg Blessuð/Tervetullut! Jeg skjønner ikke et ord på deres blogger, men dere skjønner kanskje litt norsk?

Hi Tammie! Interesting that your father was an art collector. I guess artistic ability runs in your family. I grew up in a family full of jocks and sports idiots. Not much rubbed off there!


Thanks for dropping by again, Connie and Indigene – as always nice to hear from you both.

Hi there Ms. ArtSparker. Looking forward to the arrival of your magik stick. I’ve been thinking about where to plant it in Oslo. Somewhere near a café so I can sit and drink double lattes while I wait for an art thief to appear. M.R. James and "Lost Hearts" are unknowns for me. I just found the story on the net. I’ll read just about anything written by someone named Montague.

get zapped said...

Wow! A very powerful piece. Such intensity.

Lost Viking said...

Sports Idiots. Ouch!