The Ever Winding Path (pen & ink on paper)


Climbing the path of knowing, one must sometimes make leaps of faith . . .
For those who are interested; here's the path this drawing took, from
beginning to end - The Ever Winding Path

10 have said their bit, now it's your turn:

Josh (musarter) said...

Very true...and nice illustration of the necessity of taking that leap of faith to continue on.

Unknown said...

your suggestions for my painting are very very helpful. I really appreciate it. I can't wait to try to use them when I start working on this again. and your right....painting my husband, not such a good idea!! HAHA. Thanks again!

Tammie Lee said...

I think it might be a time in life to take a leap of faith, thanks for the reminder. I love your magical landscapes, they seem to pull me into an inner journey.

Owl Eng said...

very intriguing drawing filled with delicate details!!
love the feeling the drawing exuding!

get zapped said...

Remarkable illustration (I love your lines) and the concept is superb! Well done.

Captain Smack said...

Man, that was fascinating. I loved watching the video. Whenever I see (or read/hear) a work of art, I always wonder about the step-by-step creative process the artist used.

I have a question, if you don't mind: how long did it take (in actual hands-on time) to complete this from start to finish?

Unknown said...

Thanks for all your comments.

Josh – an old Zen saying; 'logic will bring you to the ocean’s shore, only intuition can carry you across'. Sometimes one has to blindly leap to reach the other side.
I’ve done quite a bit of leaping in my day; it’s my experience that one regrets missed chances more than chances taken.

You’re welcome, Milly. Very brave of you to ask for constructive criticism. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Tammie – Regularly leaping is good for the soul. It reminds me of one of my favorite book openings (Moby Dick):
‘Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off—then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.’
When I feel like that I usually end up giving away everything I own and move to some place far distant from the one I’m at the time occupying . . . I think you know what I’m taking about.

Owl Eng and get zapped: Glad you liked the drawing. I'm into details, I get lost in them. I also love the concept of paths and roads. I remember when I was a teacher I once walked into an empty classroom and someone had written on the blackboard; ’Everything is in motion, we’re all going somewhere.’ Paths are always going somewhere.

Capt. S.
It’s a little bit difficult to put a time-frame on this particular drawing. This was a Christmas gift for the wife. Trying to keep it a secret, I would draw like crazy every time she left the room, even if it was a trip to the kitchen for a snack. Time sort of goes out the window for me when I’m in the creative mode, but if I were to hang a number on it I think I’d say I put in around twenty or thirty hours or so.

I really enjoy being ‘behind the scenes’ myself, whether it’s visual art or music or whatever, so I try to reciprocate and do the same. As such you might want to take a look at this post as well: http://sonofincog.blogspot.com/1999/05/blog-post.html

Cheers all!
Son

Brine Blank said...

Very nice! And getting to see the work as it came to life was a great bonus!!!

tusen said...

Very beautiful and I like what you say, too.
Thanks for sharing the process - it's interesting to see how you do it :)

Anonymous said...

At risk of immobilizing you with scuffing-feet embarrassment, I need to tell you that you're a Superior Scribbler.