Celebrate (pen & ink on paper)


How Trolls celebrate their birthdays . . .

8 have said their bit, now it's your turn:

Anonymous said...

Poor troll...he could invite over some other trolls! Wonderful line work!

Malachi Ward said...

Great expression of loneliness, and I like that the troll seems to have a skull-themed birthday.

ArtSparker said...

Man, that is a Wild Thing in its declining years...and where are its buddies? Melancholy. I think you will like the work of the commentator immediately above.

Anonymous said...

That has got to be the saddest-looking troll I've ever seen. He sorta looks like he might have actually had a party, and then -- all those bones -- devoured the guests, and now rather wishes he hadn't been so hasty.

Now I'm all sorry for ever thinking of trolls as inherently evil, unsympathetic beasts. I wish I knew of a troll-supporting charity I could send money to.

The technique and "look" is perfect, too. Exactly what you want when you're looking for a medium and style with which to communicate "the immediate future looked bleak indeed..."

Brine Blank said...

That is pretty funny...a bit of grown up 'Where the Wild Things Are'...nice

Tammie Lee said...

Man who knows unusual things, such as how trolls celebrate their birthdays..
how do fairies celebrate theirs? And for that matter how should I celebrate mine?

Unknown said...

Thanks for visiting my friend, the Troll. I think he needed it.
Ate all his guests and regretted it afterwards? Wouldn’t doubt it for a moment. As for the two references to Maurice Sendak's Wild Things; although I didn’t consciously think of his drawings while creating this fellow, I wouldn’t be surprised if my subconscious did. I definitely see the resemblance.

As to fairies celebrating their birthdays, I’m afraid I don’t know much about that. Too cold in Norway for such ethereal beings. I do, however, know what they eat: berries and flowers. I know this because I used to feed them in the forest back when I was a child living in warmer climes (this brings to mind ArtS’s hilarious fairy attack on her poor cat . . .).
In any case, I hope you had a good one, Tammie.

Mito said...

Luckily, I know another troll who lives out in the magical woods of Hill Village. Next year, make sure he gets an invitation.