The Sugary Poppie Fairy (ink on papir/digital)


A close relative of the Sugar Plum Fairy . . .
Here's a link to the unretouched drawing: Fairy.

10 have said their bit, now it's your turn:

Auki said...

This image is so intriguing! I love all the detail and textures.

studio lolo said...

Is she blowing the seeds or snorting them :D
Great sketch!

Lisa Rivas said...

So glad to see this...
The structure of her wings, with her arms and legs is awesome!
And the texture of her hair is pretty amazing.
So she is in charge of making things sugary. Very sweet indeed :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for your generous comments. It’s always nice when visitors take the time to say a few words. As to whether she is blowing or snorting seeds, I’d say neither. She is blowing fairy dust on the poppies, giving them their somniferous quality . . .

Cheers!
Son

ArtSparker said...

Looks like a surreal play on old engravings...the fairy reads as almost legitimate flora/fauna

Nao said...

I like her very much indeed! She's quite a magikal being.

Quite an enchanted and fabulous land you've got going on over here. I will be back for sure!

Now I have go and look at your site some more.

Curious Art said...

What a coincidence-- I'm planting poppies today! Poppy seeds are almost as fine as fairy dust. I hope they'll benefit from her magic...

I like the way you've structured the wings-- unusual & effective!

steve said...

This is quite magical! :)

Tammie Lee said...

Oh my Son, wonderful enchanting piece. I love the way her wings are entirely part of her body! The dreamy gift has to come from somewhere, eh!

Will you share, what is the digital aspect? The coloring?

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the comments.
I love the old engravings and prints from the golden age of fantasy (Rackham, Dulac, W. Heath Robinson, Sidney Sime and all the rest).
Funny that you should be planting poppies today, Curious – sounds like a touch of synchronicity to me.
I’m glad you liked the Sugary Poppy Fairy, Nao. It looks like your niece is quite the expert on faeries; "The more sparkly the necklace, the more the Faeries like it." Fantastic! And, as they say in Norway - kjekt å vite.

I put a link to a photo of the original drawing, Tammie. I am fascinated by the idea of scanning in paintings and drawings and then fiddling around with them digitally. It extends the toolbox quite a bit. That said; the paintbrush and pen will always be my first choice of creative tools . . .

Cheers!
Son